The institution was founded in Athens, Georgia (as Akers Computerized Learning Centers) on April 12, 1982, approximately two years after development of the educational courseware had begun. The demand and popularity led to the opening of three additional sites in Atlanta in 1983, with a fourth being added in 1985. An initial Texas Campus was opened in Dallas in 1986.
On December 30, 1986, the organization was acquired by Interactive Learning Systems. Under new ownership, campuses were added in Houston, Texas and Florence, Kentucky.
In 1988, the Board of Directors was expanded and the institution received initial accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and School, Commission on Occupational Education. The initial six-year grant has been followed by three subsequent grants through 2012. In 1995, the Main Campus was approved to offer the Associate Degree in Office Technology, Computer Programming, and Electronics Repair Technology. These programs allow diploma-completing students to receive full transfer credit into the degree programs.
In 1996, the Main Campus was moved to Chamblee, Georgia, across from the MARTA station, and the name was changed to Interactive College of Technology. This campus, consisting of over 60,000 square feet of classroom and laboratory space, includes “Roberts Hall”, dedicated to Board Chairman, Richard D. Roberts. The campus includes laboratory and classroom facilities serving over 1,200 students from all over the world. The campus is easily located by its “court of flags”, featuring the flags of most of the countries represented in the student body.
Interactive College of Technology also has branch campuses in Gainesville and Morrow, Georgia which along with our campus in Chamblee, conclude our presence in the Atlanta Technical College market. These campuses offer the complete ESL program and one-year diplomas in Business & Office Technology.
The institution continues to deliver a significant portion of its Occupational programs through computer-based, hands-on training, while offering students an opportunity to obtain an Associate Degree in several in-demand areas. Programs are also available in HVAC/R Technology, and the institution offers one of the nation’s most comprehensive English as a Second Language programs, serving students from virtually all corners of the world.
The faculty, staff, and advisory committees are actively involved in program assessment and evaluation to ensure programs of study continue to keep pace with the rapidly changing and evolving technology. The Occupational programs place a heavy focus on students passing the appropriate national certifications. Interactive College of Technology is a Certified Microsoft Partner, a COMPTIA certified training institute, and one of few institutions in Georgia to become an Authorized Academic Partner offering the Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) Web Site Manager Program. The institution is also authorized by Pearson/VUE to administer on-site certification examinations.
Mission and Purpose
The institution provides training required for emerging, in-demand occupations that satisfy both students and community needs and leads to well-paying positions. Societal technology requires increasingly greater skills, knowledge, and proficiencies for success in a vocation or profession. The institution strives to make the learning process an individualized, change‑oriented, market‑centered process that enables each student, regardless of background, to maximize his/her potential.
The institution educates its students in an environment that fosters interdependence between quality education and business enterprise with its motto of: QUALITY, SERVICE, AND COMMITMENT.
The above mission and purposes are implemented through achievement of the following specific objectives:
- to maximize educational opportunity through a recruitment process that evaluates each student individually and provides the necessary academic guidance and support to enable the achievement of realistic career and educational goals;
- to maintain qualified personnel who understand and embrace the premise that the student is the institution's reason for being and that each student deserves the very best from all aspects of the institution;
- to maintain a dynamic organizational model that is responsive to all its constituencies, including the communities served, and is capable of rapidly adapting to market change while adhering to the highest ethical standards;
- to offer educational programs that are based on sound business and educational principles that lead to employment and/or workplace advancement;
- to provide essential general education components that develop each student's abilities and stimulate growth of the individual;
- to offer a student services program that is appropriate for student problem solving and achievement of graduate employment objectives;
- to graduate a high percentage of those students enrolled as competent professionals with an attitude and awareness of contemporary business demands and practices; and
- to achieve reasonable business objectives and investment returns while implementing the institution's total mission and philosophy.
Institution Vision Statement
We are an educational organization which strives to deliver products and services that help each student to realize his/her individual potential and make a positive difference in his/her life.
Interactive College of Technology
The Interactive College of Technology consists of 4 campuses located in Georgia and Kentucky. The college offers Associate Degrees, Diploma Degrees and English As A Second Language Certification.
Interactive Learning Systems
The Interactive Learning Systems, located in Texas, offers Diploma Programs and English As A Second Language Programs.
The institution is accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE), which is the successor to COEI of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS):